If one of your target markets is the Baby Boomers, then this post is for you.
We’ll explain who they are, what platforms they use and most importantly what content you should be sharing with them. Avoid the scattergun approach and target your time and efforts to ensure maximum return.
Who are Baby Boomers?
Quite simply they are customers born from 1946-1964 and they are fast approaching retirement and have disposable income. Research indicates that they tend to have some characteristics that have contributed to their success which you can use to your advantage when creating content.
- They tend to have a strong work ethic.
- This generation is independent and self-assured.
- They are competitive and resourceful.
- Baby boomers like competition.
What platforms are they using?
Baby Boomers like content heavy so platforms like Facebook appeal to them, they may also gravitate to Instagram for its visual appeal in the “dreaming” phase of the purchasing cycle.
They also like to share their opinions, so if you provide an excellent experience they are likely to share this both on and offline.
A huge 95% of Boomers will opt for email over instant messenger, so encouraging newsletter signups will help increase interaction and build awareness.
Some interesting facts
- 58% are more likely to visit your Website after engaging with you on Social Media
- 91% purporting to have a social media account
- 84% prefer Facebook as their primary Social Media platform
- 0nly 5% use Twitter
- 95% use email to communicate
- More females than males are likely to share content
Source Social Media Today Infographic – August 2017
So, if Baby Boomers are your target market, here are our 5 top tips
- Use Facebook as your primary Social Media channel for this group.
- Ensure you are on and post regularly on Facebook
- Link your Facebook page to your website
- Promote your business with engaging content on Facebook, ask for opinions and feedback
- Have a newsletter sign up on your website and regularly communicate
- Showcase events, activities that are relevant to your product, cross promote your town, region or State frequently on your Website and Facebook page
- Make it easy for your customers to share their experience by inviting feedback too;
- Your website
- Facebook page
- TripAdvisor and other review sites
- Repurpose your content across platforms
Try to focus your efforts in these areas for this target audience, and don’t forget to measure what you do, do more of what works and less of what doesn’t to hone your success.